So, i was very happy to have Alex the Girl take me to the airport.
switched flights from sfo to memphis, to sfo to Detroit.
I watched Dr. Who on the way to Detroit till my computer died.
Also, i happened to get the seat behind the baby. To my luck he only cried once, and rather quietly. Then proceeded to giggle at the faces i would make at him. oooh i love babies. he was adorable.
Arrived in Detroit with perfect timing to just board my flight to Amsterdam, so i didn't get to charge my computer, serving it useless for the 9 hour flight.
I think now I should've stood up and walked more. I believe i pulled a muscle in my left leg sometime before I left and it still is sore.
I ate, watched The Secret Life of Bees. Sidenote: Northwest International flights = free movies!
also, I got this vegan cheddar cheese at whole foods and it was gross.
So, the Secret Life of Bees is a sad movie. I cried a LOT.
Then i listened to some Brahms, Beethoven 5 & 7, Bach's Goldberg Variations, had half a glass of wine and tried to sleep.
To no avail. I failed. several attempts. in every position i could think of.
fine. So i officially gave up after 3000 miles.
Watched this Hindi movie called "Sorry Bhai!"
didn't get to finish it, but it was pretty good.
So as soon as i saw the sun outside the window and my kaart said i was flying over Ireland, i knew sleeping wasn't going to happen. My mind says, "daylight!, time to be awake!"
Bahhhhhhhh
Ok, moving on.
landed at Schiphol. easy walk to arrivals, no problem at customs.
I see Eva!!!!!!!! YAY!
we took the tram to Centraal station
(pictures will be up when I can figure out why i didn't bring my camera's cord. :/ and find a new way to upload.)
Met up with her friend Lucas and made our way back to her house on another train. We got bikes and food and rode through town to Vondel Park for a picnic.
Tons of people! so packed, like a hot day in Dolores Park, but with twice as many people.
10 millions times as many bikes. it's a world of bikes over here.
So, i learned: when riding a bike in Amsterdam, if you are not going fast or not sure where you're going, stay to the right (unless turning, obviously) within the lanes.
a good many times, i was shocked at the speed the bikes whizzed past, the bells ringing, the cars, the people. It's a real live version of frogger. :) haha
It's awesome though. I love how EVERYONE has a bike. so cool. except, everyone basically has the same bike. I don't know if i like them. very cruiser style, handlebars high. Brakes on backpedal. I didnt see any racing or commuter bikes.
Times like these I miss Harold and Io.
Although, I don't think Harold could take these cobblestone streets and all the potholes, hills, dips.
The bike i am riding is named Daisy. She is one of Eva's bikes. Eva's bike is named Ulfff. "With 3 f's!" she says. :) lol
She rides crazy-like almost got us hit by the train hahaha but we laughed.
Haven't really had to use my broken dutch yet. I figure it'll come in handy on the days Eva is not with me. Looks like i'm heading to see La Traviata maybe sunday or Tuesday, alone. Eva doesn't like opera. :( Verdi rolled in his grave. I felt it. haha
We stopped at a grocery store too before the park. I bought strawberries, really really dark chocolate
Me: oh! i didn't realize how dark it was!
Eva: (laughs hysterically)
and some sap (juice). mmmmmmm
Park sightings:
Cool dutch guys playing house music on a boombox in the park.
awesome hippies on flower covered bikes
some americans who brought an American Flag blanket to sit on hahaha
a photo shoot happening on the banks of the lake right next to us
me falling asleep on the blanket twice from jet lag and them both laughing at me :)
can't remember what else...
It was about 20 degrees celsius today, if not hotter. very nice!
We stayed there for a few hours, then biked through Jordaan past the Anne Frank huis (house) which i will check out another time.
To a cafe on a canal! Eva steals lucas' Salmon Rushdie book which in turn somehow starts grappling over it and ends with Lucas' map of Amsterdam in the canal! haha
some little kid grabbed it though with persistence following it slowly along the dock. :)
Eva had what the dutch called "wrong coffee". Coffee is normally served completely black, but some (Eva haha) like it really milky, which they call "wrong coffee".
I like this.
finally, i can barely stay awake. it's hitting me. So we ride back to the house.
She lives in student housing of the fashion school she attends. It's amazing! if only our dorms were as cool.
actually the closest I've seen was Calarts in LA when Maxi took me down there.
it resembles the interior of the buildings a lot.
I passed the hell out immediately.
waking up sporadically to catch waves of HAIL happening outside!!!!! HAIL!
right now, it's a thunder and lightning storm.
I slept for 5ish hours.
Eva and Lucas made veggie thai curry. mmmm onions, bell peppers, zucchini, carrot, jasmine rice, coconut milk, spices.
The hardest thing about riding bikes in Amsterdam is paying attention.
I want to look at everything! and all the beautiful, and i mean BEAUTIFUL!!, people. whoah.
Oh yea. :)
Next:
we're going to go downstairs to visit some other neighbors for drinks and social.
Then, concert at midnight till ??? who knows.
Lucas leaves back to Germany tomorrow at 7am...i dont know how this partying thing works.
Oh by the way, the dollar is shit.
$250 = 165Euro
AHHHHHHH just means i'll spend less.
I guess we are biking in the lightning storm...if only i could videotape that one. I will try my best to describe in the next blog.
and also try to fit in sleep somewhere between then and now.
Amsterdam reminds me of Rome, of Venice, of Florence, of New York, of San Francisco, of something i can't put my finger on.
But there's something hauntingly familiar about this place. My excitement level is not as staggering as was in Italy.
Let's hope its only the jet lag.
Peace,
Dag,
Tot ziens!
B the G
PS: Random thought: Regarding the book/film, "The Reader",
when the narrator sends tapes to Hanna in prison, and is satisfied with no responses, (well she can't write yet anyway) but regarding this idea of sending tapes never needing a response. I like it more lately.
How valid is it to accept an outright denial of a letter, somehow even encouraging the denial itself, as long as the receiver gets something out it , even if they never acknowledge the feelings/reactions they may have to these letters?
I guess my question is convoluted.
nevermind...
I'll rephrase when my head is more together.
No comments:
Post a Comment