1.04.2009

January 3rd, 2009 - Day three of Boston, MA

the first thing i know is, one can never have too much Garlic in their...anything! lol

So today, I set m phone for 9. apparently, i hit it off a couple times half-awake and woke up at 10:25. whoops. wakeup bathroom ritual, then Amy made me a vegan waffle. Whoah! hella good. although, she used egg ener-g replacer, so wasnt as fluffy as it could've been with Soy lecithin, but i gave her the soy lecithin advice from vegan baker to vegan baker. she was happy to know.
I had homemade berry jam and true maple syrup on that waffle, it was damn good.
Then, got dressed in my 6 layers, and made it out the door by 12:25. :(
Missed the bus grabbed the next one at 12:49, and made it to Davis Square but got off by Tufts University instead. Pretty, but not interesting enough to vouch for wasting 2 hours there.
Didn't even find one rad semi-cheap vintage store. They were all Noe Valley prices. lolz.
(if you dont know the reference, get to SF more often.)
although, I did find a cool unique trendy outerwear store where I bought a (dont die now!) $40 hat. ahhhhh and why do i only spend money like this on the east coast. Shh..if i lived here no way would I. why does traveling somehow make you think you have to get it or something. Rome was the same way. Anything in Italy, i'm like "i'm in ITALY I have to get it now! when will i be back!?" haha
i'm changing my way of mind. this is super silly. I mean, i can afford it, but shit. It's not up to my moral code. I guess, it could be worse. It could've been walmart, or macy;s. at least it was a local business. And it was exactly the kind of warm ass hat i've been looking for. Would've spent more at REI or Northface. Anyway...
Enough bitching and griping and giving excuses. I'm a tiny shopping whore. So sue me.
Eventually, I'll sell all this bullshit and be living with less than 4 outfits in a mudhut somewhere in the colder parts of this world. *sigh*, in my dreams for now..

Besides, I'm keeping track of everything I buy and how much it costs. i'll make a tally at the end and we'll see that the total amount will be less than I spent in Rome in a day, but more than I spend in 3 months in Sonoma County. :0
oh money, if we could burn it all and start over again.

ok ok back on track. im rambling.
Then, I found Spikes. The hot dog place. I got a super veggie dog called "the Junkyard", with Pepperoncinis, grilled scallions, spicy mustard, tomato, and pickle. 3 bucks.
Then, was real thirsty so I found this amazing Vegan place around the corner, too bad i missed it before Spikes. But you can't pass up a veggie dog like that. You never see them anywhere. So, i got a juice called the "cold fighter". Large. Garlic, Ginger, Lemon, Carrots, Orange. AWWWWWW <3 soo good. Talk about a pick-me-up. Forget coffee, this did it for the rest of the day.
Got on the Red Line train straight to Downtown Crossing, transferred to the Orange Line to State st. and started wandering around. It was almost 4pm by this time. Started on the Freedom trail, but couldn't find anything special. Except the Holocaust memorial area, and this huge area of benches and a huge staircase filled of snow. There's pictures.
It was a very calming place. I think it shall be my favorite as of this point.
Then, i got distracted by the Farmers Market at Faneuil Hall Marketplace. AH! Food. fruit. vegetabeles. CHEAP.
I saw a sign that that said 9 peaches for $1.
2 avocados for $1.
5 lemons for $1
10 oranges for $2
bags of cherries $2
strawberries $1
Blueberries $1
Bell peppers 2 for $1
7 nectarines for $1
3 tomatoes $1
6 tangerines $1
i think my head was going to explode. :)
Mostly because i couldn't take advantage. No permanent stasis right now. No need of lots of fruit. :(
I bought a tangerine, a sweet navel, a red orange, and a fat crispy apple, all $1.

Then i walked down congress st. more, found Hanover, but then my camera's batteries died. Still didnt know which was i was going to find the freedom trail and it was so close to 5pm.
Finally, I found Haymarket station, and I could've ventured with my direction from Haymarket to the raw food restaurant i knew about and the Old north church, but it was dark.
So, i decided to jump on the train back to Boylston to see if the post office was still open.
Ended up not even finding the post office. It's somewhere in the prudential center, but the addresses downtown are weird. So i gave up.
Walked to Commonwealth back to the ancient music emporium as i call it,
and bought 7 books on Verdi. My husband. lol. I'm stocking up on resources to write my curriculum for my senior project: A Seminar on Verdi, Fall 2009.
Also, i got the vocal score for Verdi's Requiem.
All - $40. sweet deal, seeing as how these books are super vintage.
I'm going to the post office on monday morning to mail them back.

Then, I walked to Boylston stopped at Trader Joes for some Veggie Biryani and came back to my housing.

My host left me a note saying her daughter went to stay with a friend and she's staying at her bf's house so to make myself at home and eat the veggie pasta in the fridge. She's too damn sweet. I really urge you all to use the Couchsurfing Project. It's amazing.
http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Some thoughts I had today:
I love Boston (and NY) because people who ride the subway don't sit on the outside seats so other people are less likely to sit next to them. People do this on BART and Muni and it bugs the hell out of me.
Although, i believe Boston and NY have different reasons. I think NY just doesn't fuck around and knows that no matter if they sit on the outside or not, someone is sitting next to them because there's so many people to begin with.
Boston, i think does it out of simple socialist logic. Why would I sit on the outside and make someone squeeze past me when I could scoot in and make room? Right on. But, this is only a theory from my observations.

I got back to housing at around 7:15pm.
I'm pooped and a little grouchy, BUT although I didn't get almost anything done i wanted to today, i still had a good time.
Tomorrow will be better. I need to wake up earlier.
For sure, I am getting on the train nd heading south straight to Fiores Italian Bakery in Jamaice Plains for a Vegan breakfast of baked goods.
Then we'll see how much else I get done.
More pictures to come.
Peace, light, happiness, gratitude, jubilation, glee and warmth to all!

B. J. Young

ps. I still love it here.

pps. It's still better than SF.

No comments: