8.18.2008

Henry & June - Anais Nin (Part 2)


Ahoy hoy!
I finished the book! It only took so long because i'm constantly sticking little bookmarks everywhere something significant pops up.
enjoy:

"one does not get healed just by living and loving, or I would be healed." pg120

"Henry and I are one, lying soldered for four days. Not with bodies but with flames. God, let me thank somebody. No drug could be more potent. Such a man. He has sucked my life into his body as i have sucked his. This is the apotheosis of my life. "
pg217

"I hated him because I loved him as I have never loved anyone." pg217

"Don't deceive me. My love is too new, too absolute, too deep." pg226

Because I am a woman who understands, I am asked to understand everything, to accept everything. I will demand my dues. I want a million days like those four days with Henry, and I am going to have them even if they are not from him." pg234

"when he said to me, in torment, "I need to know what you want," I told him, "Nothing more than this closeness, When all is right between us I can bear my life."

"I do not believe men ever had, in one woman, such a potential enemy and such an actual friend." pg245

"the only thing psychoanalysis achieves is to make one more conscious of one's misfortunes." pg252

"You were under the impression last time, because i talked quietly about Hugo and my work, that i loved you less. And immediately you withdrew from me, in order not to suffer. You hardened yourself. It is your childhood tragedy repeating itself. If, when you were a child, you have been made to realize that your father had to live his own life, that he was forced to abandon you, that in his spite of this he loved you, you would not have suffered so terribly. " pg 254

"all this is nothing but a fierce defense against the loss of the lover i will never forget." pg 269

"She was truthful, or I am the greatest dupe who ever existed. I can only believe in our ecstasy. I dont want to know, I only want to love her." pg269

"henry is not imaginative enough...he is false. He is not simple enough either. It is he who made me complex, who has devitalized me, killed me. He has introduced a fictitious personage who would make him suffer torments, whom he could hate; he has to whip himself by hatred in order to create."
"He is all that he accuses me of being. It is he who is a liar, insincere, buffoonish, an actor. It is he who seeks dramas and creates monstrosities...He seeks simplicity and then begins to distort it, to invent monsters. It is all false, false."
pg270

"Henry only pretends to understand, so he can then turn around and attack, destroy."
pg271

"Last night I wept. I wept because the process by which I have become woman was painful. I wept because I was no longer a child with a child's blind faith. I wept because my eyes were opened to reality - to Henry's selfishness, June's love of power, my insatiable creativity which must concern itself with others and cannot be sufficient to itself. I wept because I could not believe anymore and I love to believe. "
pg274

No comments: