Hello all, (who care to check in with me in such an informal way),
I feel more hopeful and inspired. I cannot explain why, but it happens every so often.
Also, it has been 6 months since i began wearing the hijab. I as of today have 'come out', if you will, from under the veil and have wonderful stories to tell. Unfortunately, I cannot go into them all in this one note, but soon enough.
What started as an experiment in self-discovery and social/cultural/spiritual journey of understanding, has become something i look back on fondly and now know I can put it on whenever again i feel, and (unfortunately with rohnert park hitting 102 degrees today, was what prompted the unveiling) and with a new found sense of self and appreciation for women's freedom where I am and also an appreciation for the spiritual or personal strength it takes to be veiled with choice, as well as the sympathy for those who do not have the choice.
And with that, i will be chopping off all the hair I have grown over the past 6 months , fairly soon.
maybe i'll throw a party and donate my hair to the mopping up the oil spill like my boss Jeff Davis.
and with that, I'll be enjoying the rest of my night with friends and possibly coffee.
if anyone needs a motivational speech, i've been getting much practice as of late so i'm all in. :) haha
Bob the Girl
**
"soon enough"...better late than never. Here is an update of my experience of those 8 months in hijab, i wrote this in a letter to a friend and i thought i'd put it up in my blog. She asked "how was your hijab adventure?"
My response:
"Hijab adventure was quite brilliant actually and enlightening in certain ways. I just feel a type of respect in some ways, and clearer understanding of what it means to be a woman in this society at least. and a knowledge from experience or perspective or something, about the strength or devotion or faith it takes to wear the hijab, or even just to not accept the standard sleazy label women are often automatically stamped with, and go the other direction, i guess. i dont know if that makes sense but i really enjoyed the time i had and i have no regrets or negative judgments that came from wearing it. I think i just felt the time was right to come out if you will, from the veil. also, it had hit 102 up here at the time. I just wanted out, ya know. which was hard. i felt that pull to push myself, to feel what itd be like actually desiring, needing, to take it off, dreading wearing it, and not being able to or not letting myself. And i guess i ddint let it get that far.
So i understand now and appreciate the strength those women have to deal with such circumstances. I think it helped me to be a better understanding person to a community of women that i, prior to this, couldnt have had such a valid compassion for.
i wouldnt say exactly that im glad to be done with it. its less negative or positive. it just is. i feel a relationship now with the hijab more than i ever thought even existed. as if it is an old friend i can call in time of nostalgia or interest or strenth even. the strength to resist what the media stresses us out to look like. in a way. So i look back fondly. I look forward fondly, if i ever wanted to wear it again, i would, and i could.
But for now im happy with seeking a new (for me) balance that defies social constructs, media emphasis and unjust pressures against our image, as well as doesnt constrict me on other levels as well, or align me with a political, religious and ideological symbol or tradition that many people have their own thoughts and stereotypes about."
x
No comments:
Post a Comment